Welcome to Betty and Bob LaFara’s 50th Wedding Anniversary, On-Line!
Betty (Ella Elizabeth Dyer) and Bob (Robert Lowell LaFara) met when they both worked for the United Christian Missionary Society of the Disciples of Christ (UCMS). Betty, formerly of Macy, IN, worked in the Publicity Department and Bob, a WWII veteran, worked in the Mail Room. The UCMS was located in the Irvington neighborhood on the East side of Indianapolis, Indiana. After a courtship of about one year, they were married on June 13, 1948 in the Chapel of the UCMS with The Reverend Mr. Weesner of the UCMS Publicity Department officiating.
Betty and Bob set up their home in a trailer park owned by Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. Bob completed his Bachelor's degree in Education (1949) and also earned a Masters degree in Astronomy (1950).
While in Bloomington, Susan was born (1949) and spent her first year in Bloomington.
In 1950, Bob took a job at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico and the family moved to Las Cruces, NM. They spent several months there; but decided to move back to Indianapolis.
Bob was hired as a mathematician at the Naval Ordnance Plant in Indianapolis where he worked for the rest of his career. He held various positions while there, but they all involved computers. Initially, Betty and Bob rented an apartment in Irvington which was in an old farm house. While living there, Dorothy was born (1952) at St. Francis Hospital.
In 1952, Betty and Bob purchased their own home in Indianapolis on East 20th Place. When Janet was born (1954, also at St. Francis Hospital) it became apparent they needed a larger house.
They purchased and moved into their new home on North Bolton Avenue in late 1955 and lived in that house until late 1975. Their fourth daughter, Barbara, was born in 1959 at the then new Community Hospital East. While living in that house, Betty became interested in weaving and eventually needed more space for her craft.
In 1975, they purchased and moved to a new house on East 79th Street in the Geist Lake area. By that time, the three oldest daughters had left home and only Barbara moved with them to the new house.
Betty and Bob have been living in their present home for over 20 years. Bob retired from the Naval Avionics Center in 1987 and now pursues his personal interests in computers, reading and word puzzles. Over the years, Betty has received much recognition for her weaving and today enjoys teaching the skill to others. Long time Unitarians, both are active in the Oaklandon Universalist-Unitarian Church.
In 1998 they completed fifty years of marriage.
Thank you for attending!
Betty and Bob LaFara observed their 50th wedding anniversary
on Saturday, June 13 1998, at the Oaklandon Universalist-Unitarian
Church in Oaklandon, Indiana. (Oaklandon is located in the far northeast
section of Indianapolis.) The open house was attended by more than 100 friends and family. We thank all of them for sharing this happy occasion with us. Catch-Up on the Whole Family!
Catch-Up on the Whole Family!